Blog post by Ann Moore: My Journey from Guttmacher to Durham and Beyond

 I’m honored to be affiliated as a Visiting Researcher with the Department of Sociology for 2023-2024 academic year. I come to Durham in my role as a Principal Research Scientist at the Guttmacher Institute, a sexual and reproductive health research and policy institute based in New York, USA. I have had the privilege of working on studies on contraceptive use, unintended pregnancy, abortion and adolescents both in the United States and globally since joining Guttmacher almost 20 years ago. Methodologically, I’ve been grappling with how to measure abortion incidence, health literacy, numeracy, pregnancy recognition, sexual consent and coital frequency. For the last five years, I’ve been working in humanitarian settings (CAR, northern Nigeria, and the Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh). Guttmacher is an intellectual home that has allowed me to collaborate with brilliant colleagues on research that matters in the lives of the most vulnerable and marginalized. I am driven by making the invisible visible, demonstrating the role that gender plays in behavior and outcomes, and identifying ambiguity in understandings of sexual and reproductive health terminology and experiences. I am deeply committed to Open Science, and endeavor to conduct all my work in a reproducible and transparent way and ask the same of my collaborators. I am also an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology at the University at Albany–State University of New York. If you’d like to see more about me and my publications, you can go here: https://www.guttmacher.org/about/staff/ann-m-moore.
Another thread of my work is grappling with power-shifting in global health research. At this point in time, the field is collectively attempting to reshape the way we are formulating research questions, raising money, and giving autonomy and visibility to members of the field who have historically not found it as feasible to access these currencies. Part of this work is through co-collaborating equitable partnership principles and practices, another part if this work is creating dialogues through the International Conference on Family Planning Power-Shifting in Global Health and Development coalition based at Johns Hopkins University.
 
My current work is focused on identifying social norms related to sexual and reproductive health behavior including accessing services among marginalized youth in Uganda and Mozambique in collaboration with Makerere School of Public Health [Uganda] and CEPSA [Mozambique] (funded by Global Affairs Canada), understanding knowledge and practices related to menstrual regulation, abortion and postabortion care among the Forcibly Displaced Myanmar Nationals in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh in collaboration with Brac James P. Grant School of Public Health, Brac University and BAPSA (funded by Norad, the government of the Netherlands, and FCDO), and examining the online universe of medication abortion access in Colombia in collaboration with Oriéntame (funded by Norad). I am currently working to develop projects on abortion incidence in Colombia, Bangladesh and India; understanding the reverberations of the Dobbs decision in sub-Saharan Africa, and a training module to help primary data collectors minimize interviewer effects when examining sensitive subjects.
 











 
As the North American representative on the Council for the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population, we’re busy planning for the 2025 International Population Conference which will be taking place in Brisbane, Australia July 13-18th. The call for papers will be out soon—I’d encourage all H&ST members to consider submitting!
 
While at Durham, I’m hoping to make connections with individuals engaged in related work. I look forward to get to know more about the Institute for Medical Humanities and the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing. I’ll be presenting on October 28th at the H&ST meeting where I’ll be giving an overview of my work and present preliminary findings on my current projects to benefit from feedback of anyone who is able to attend. 

Comments